Plaque sponsored by the Major J. D. Robertson Family
Located on 40 East Town Street, with an entrance also from 85 Town Street
The old burying ground at the end of the Old Cemetery Lane was purchased in 1699 and in 1796 an addition was acquired. The gates shown here were placed at the entrance to the latter purchase. The gates are called the Amos Hallum Hubbard Gates and were acquired from the Palmer Smith estate by the Daughters of the American Revolution. They were dedicated on July 5, 1903. Originally the gates guarded the entrance to the Amos Hallum Hubbard Mansion, build in 1832. The Mansion was torn down in 1903 to make way for the present Post Office on Main Street in downtown Norwich.
The iron from which these gates were molded is supposed to have come from the famous Salisbury Iron Mines in Litchfield County, Connecticut. The Salisbury Mines produced iron for Revolutionary War cannons, cannon balls, and anchors for the frigate Constitution (“Old Ironsides”), and the chain that blockaded the Hudson River.