Located on 352 Main Street
An early owner of this 1827 Greek Revival home was John Fox Slater, who was born in Rhode Island March 4, 1815. He was President of the Slater Cotton Mills at Jewett City, and founder of the John F. Slater Fund ($1,000,000) for the education of Negro freedmen following the Civil War, for which he was presented a gold medal by the Congress of the United States. He was also a benefactor of the Park congregational Church, the United Workers, and Norwich Free Academy. The Slater Memorial Museum was built in honor of Mr. Slater through a bequest of his son, William A. Slater. He died in Norwich in 1884. This brick house is one of the largest examples of Greek Revival architecture in the area.