Jesse Brown Tavern

Jesse Brown Tavern

The picture of a proud Irish Mary Collins Stanley with her three boys Bill, Jim and Chick, taken over 100 years ago.

Located on 77 East Town Street

Jesse Brown married Anna Rudd, daughter of Nethaniel and Mary (Backus) Rudd of Franklin, Connecticut in 1769. They had six children. He participated in the Revolution by officiating as the Governor’s Post. As express agent and confidential messenger, he relayed the news of the occupation of Philadelphia by the British under Lord Howe. In 1781 he married his wife’s cousin, Lucy Rudd, daughter of Daniel and Mary (Metcalf) Rudd.

In 1790 he was licensed to open a tavern. He became the stage contractor and established lines between Boston and New York via Providence and Norwich.

On Wednesday evening, August 1, 1797 President John Adams and his wife were guests at the Jesse Brown Tavern. He was welcomed by the Matross Company in full uniform and honored with a sixteen-gun salute.

On of his daughters, Ann, married John Vernet who built the lovely home located at 118 Washington Street. The famous Vernet grape was first cultivated in the garden of Jesse Brown’s Tavern. Mr. Brown died in 1818 in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, where he lived with the Vernet family.

Extensively altered, it has been known as the Rock Nook Home for Children. The United Workers, the present owner, constitute the organized charities of Norwich and serve as The Public Health Agency. It is now home to the United Community and Family Services.