Maplewood Cemetery

Maplewood Cemetery

Plaque sponsored by the Maplewood Cemetery Board of Directors, 2002

Located on 184 Salem Turnpike

Once upon a time in Norwich…the citizens realized at the turn of the century that the expansion of Yantic Cemetery, located on Lafayette Street and founded in 1843, or the City Cemetery, located on Oak Street and founded in 1755, was impractical. For this reason it was now time to locate a suitable property for a new interdenominational burial ground.

The Norwich Cemetery Association was formed on March 24, 1902, and the Osgood Farm, located in East Great Plains was purchased on June 17, 1902. The Beebe family cemetery, which predates Maplewood by many years, is located within its boundaries.

A contest, sponsored by The Norwich Bulletin, offered a ten-dollar prize “to the person who should first send to The Norwich Bulletin the successful name for the new cemetery.” Mary R. Griswold of West Main Street was the prize winner.

Upon its origin, it was decide that the new cemetery would maintain a park-like atmosphere, which was popular among modern cemeteries of that period. A variety of plantings including shade trees, would be established to provide a comfortable setting for visitors.

Today, the 138-acre property continues to maintain a park-like atmosphere as it serves Norwich and the surrounding communities. Maplewood Cemetery is a not-for-profit, nondenominational cemetery governed by a board of directors and trustees who volunteer their time to direct the affairs of the cemetery.