Plaque sponsored by the City of Norwich
Located on Union Square
In colonial times, the court and town hall was located on the Norwichtown Green but in 1829 was moved to Court Street on Jail Hill in Chelsea—a gesture commensurate with the economic and political influence gained by the harbor district. Fire destroyed that building in 1865, and the current imposing Second Empire structure was constructed between 1870-1873.
This combined county courthouse and city hall office building, inspired by the Louvre, with an impressive façade of Philadelphia pressed brick and windows trimmed granite, is located prominently on Union Square. Total cost of $324,732 was enormous and illustrated Norwich’s prestige and wealth.
Local construction firms involved designer and general contractor, Burdick and Arnold, with another local contractor, John Murphy, laying the foundation. Joseph Smith installed the brick and granite.
Following the 127 years of use and service, a totally of $4,500,000 was expended in the year 2000 on maintenance code renovations.