Yantic

The village of Yantic

Plaque sponsored by the Yantic Volunteer Fire Department

Located on 151 Yantic Road

The village of Yantic, located in the City of Norwich lies in the northwest corner bounded but the towns of Bozrah and Franklin. These towns were once part of the original nine-mile square purchased from the Mohegan Indians in 1659, and were known first as New Concord and West Farms. These areas were set off from Norwich and made separate towns in 1786.

Captain Erastus Williams renamed West Farm and called in Yantic. This name was derived from the Mohegan Indian origin, “Yantick,” meaning Little River. Williams built the Yantic Mill, the Church, the Mill Houses, Store, and Fire Department. In 1847 the Mill owner petitioned the Connecticut General Assembly for a Charter for a Fire Company in the Village of Yantic. In July of 1847 the General Assembly granted the Charter to Erastus Williams, and the Yantic Fire Engine Company No. 1 was created.

The Church was established in 1853, and the existing stone building was dedicated on June 22, 1902. The son of Erastus, Winslow Williams, oversaw the construction of the double arch stone bridge which led to his residence, “Rockclyffe.” Mr. Williams was a personal friend of President William Howard Taft who visited on July 5, 1909 to celebrate Norwich’s 250th Anniversary.